Saturday, March 27, 2010

Sporadic updates...

Hmm... my updates seem to be more sporadic as days pass me by. I suppose the inclination to blog fluctuates depending on what goes on in my life.
I started my adult inpatient psych rotation this week, and it's been... OK. My opinion on psych as a whole can be summed up by these 2 letters. It's amazing how perceptive the consultants and registrars are, how insightful they can be when it comes to piecing the fragments of the patient's story together, how they seem to know so much. I remember when one of them drew the attention of the class of 8 medical students to the fact that what happened in the patient's family in the past could be related to the current mental illness that the patient has in the present. The whole room echoed with the revelatory "oh~". Yet I find myself feeling... underwhelmed? dissatisfied? disgruntled? I'm not sure but I do know that psych is not a particular interest of mine.
I saw yet another patient restrained this week. The patient was very intent on banging his head on the door of the room he was in, and was running full speed headlong into said door. The male nurse in the room rugby-tackled him to stop him and then pressed the duress alarm. Within minutes the room was swarmed by all the staff and personnel on the ward. The patient was actively swearing and was later placed in seclusion.
Had life group today. Enjoyed it very much, especially the Yu Wan and Fawn Special. =) And was strongly reminded that:
It's all about You, Jesus,
And all this is for You,
For Your glory and Your name,
It's not about me,
As if You should do things my way,
You alone are God,
And I surrender, to Your ways.

No comments: