Wednesday, February 10, 2010

Fears...

Today I sat in on one of the consultant interviews with an involuntary patient. It was, to me, a difficult interview because the interviewee was not forthcoming with the answers and I did not manage to get a clear picture of what the situation was like. The family background was also not a conducive one, with the case manager mentioning that it was a pathological family. There were many issues surrounding said patient's hospitalization, including the relationship with both parents and violence and aggression management. But I think that it was an eye opener and something that I have to learn, because the only interviews I've done for this rotation have been on simulated patients.
Anyway, my back still aches... and I'm wondering if I should see a doctor or a physiotherapist. Sigh. I'll give it one more day.
Wan Jie and I have been telling each other that we find references to mental health everywhere now that we're in this rotation. LOL. But I suppose that fact holds true in any rotation that I've done - I become paranoid (and I'm using this term loosely) and find signs/symptoms of conditions that I've just learnt in myself. LOL.
But I suppose that because the mind is such a fluid thing, with so much uncertainty, so much room for error, that I have to admit that I am afraid of saying the wrong thing, reacting wrongly that I may cause irreparable damage. That fear that I would not be able to uphold the Hippocratic oath to first do no harm. Sigh.
Listening to Falling Slowly by Kris Allen. Beautiful song.

No comments: