Tuesday, August 12, 2008

Big events are made out of little things...

CBP today went quite well, I think. Had quite a fun day too! Actually I woke up feeling like I didn't want to get up at all, as if I was at odds with the world in general. I was just so tired and sleepy, and all I wanted to do was to jump back into bed. And then I found out that someone ate up my Corn Thins which I was planning on bringing to placement today for lunch. And the worst thing was that that person actually had the gall to open my cupboard door and do so! I remember distinctly that I placed said food item on top of the peanut butter in the brown box where I keep my plates, bowls, coffee, chilli sauces and oil. And when I rummaged through it to make my cuppa this morning, the whole thing was gone, and my peanut butter jar was knocked askew. I was so angry - the inconsiderate person didn't even write a note to apologise. You'd think that if someone was smart enough to be accepted into uni, he or she should know that if a cupboard is occuppied and you did not buy the food it contains, the food doesn't belong to you, you doofus!

Sorry for that rant. That was not meant to be the point of this post. So anyway, I wasn't in the best of moods when I left Halls today. I thought that I would sleep in the bus on the way to placement, but surprisingly, was awake for most of the trip. And I got to listen to 'Try to Remember' on the radio. It's one of my favourite songs. And when I got to placement, I had fun and enjoyed myself. I got to spend time with some clients I've spent time with before. And the person in charge was so passionate about her job, it was infectious. And she has so many ideas and plans that we felt useful today. Like we could contribute something to aid them, instead of being in the way, because most of us have no experience dealing with the clients, and to the clients, routine is of extreme importance. But today was great. Painted nails, chatted, helped with PowerPoint slides, and lunch... little things that add up to a wonderful warm sensation.

It's astonishing how one's perspective can be altered with just a single moment in time. I was feeling belligerent, irritable, and snappish but the small but momentous breakthroughs changed my outlook. Simple things like a client finishing lunch, the clients' laughter, the minuscule but no less crucial increase in conversation... it was a good day today. =) Some days, you come home drained and exhausted, after hours of trying to establish rapport and initiating conversation... when it seems fruitless and akin to banging one's head against a brick wall... but not today. Warm sun against my face in the bus, where I am sheltered from the wind... the smiles on the clients' faces... the music from an Elvis movie... these are the things I want to take with me from today's CBP. =)

3 comments:

kohila said...

o.O stolen corn thins? quite weird ne??

glad CBP cheered you up ^_^ it sounds fun!

christina said...

i just found out, the peanut butter i mentioned? got stolen as well. so now, the cupboard's locked. sad ne?
but cbp yesterday was cool. =)

kohila said...

GOSH. that person must be desperate/starving o.O

good thing you locked the cupboard before anything else went missing.

sorry about your peanut butter =(