Tuesday, July 1, 2008

Of persistent friends and holidays... =)

Alright, here goes. Yet another attempt to be a more regular blogger. It had not turned out that well with my friendster and Livespace blogs. Both left abandoned, neglected after just a few posts. So this is the 3rd serious attempt at being a blogger. Thanks to Wend's promptings and vehement belief that Facebook notes are not considered blog entries. Ahem.
So what has been happening in my life? Considering the fact that I'm up now, writing a blog post, I can safely say that my attempts to normalise my sleeping hours are going very slowly. And hopefully, helping out with orientation registration later will be fruitful in making me tired that I will sleep at night, when the world sleeps.
But I like the ambiance at night. The cool air, the silence of the surroundings, the clarity of sound... I have always been a night owl, not an early bird. Though the other day, I was watching this anime called Ghost Hunt at night, and it was a particularly windy night. Imagine, you are alone in your room, watching this show in which the protagonist and deutragonist are investigating phenomena to do with the unearthly type, with the wind howling like a banshee in the background. If my memory serves me right, I was watching this episode with a spirit that had attached itself to a doll. And I do not like dolls which somehow attain the ability to talk, or move without aid. Creepy man. Speaking of which, one of my juniors, ie a Malaysian first year med student actually watched Ju-On alone. At night. In his room. That really chilling Jap horror movie. And he told me that the little boy ghost has the same Mandarin name as him. Which I thought was quite scary. Before I reassured myself with the thought that it was just a movie.
Hmm... what else did I do in the first 12 days of my holidays? Helped Yuwan clean her fridge out with Wanjie and Leandra. And in the process, threw a whole load of foodstuff out. Hopefully Fawn wouldn't be too shocked. Wanjie and I seem to have a penchant for clearing fridges out, don't we?
Watched a lot of other anime as well. Surprisingly, I find myself quite liking mecha anime like Code Geass and Gundam. Though I couldn't help comparing Lelouch from Code Geass to Light from DeathNote. And I like Athrun from Gundam Seed and Destiny. The only reason I watched Seed and Destiny was because of his character as I cannot stand Kira, Shinn, or Lacus. I also watched Ghost Hunt, which is more shoujo-ish, and Devil May Cry which was quite gory.
Did a little schoolwork as well. A table for the many antibacterials we were taught last year. Tried reading epi. Notice I said 'tried'. Theme 2 is the bane of my existence. Am reading Narnia as well. Borrowed the omnibus edition from Ivy.
And I've had time to reflect during the holidays. You know, there are just times when you wonder if you are leaving your life right. I remember clearly what Pallu said during the Medicine and Power lecture on the Friday of Urban Week. You look around you and you see all these accomplished people who are smart, athletic, artistic/musically talented, good-looking (yeah I'm shallow- the anime I watch have good looking characters in them) and you wonder if you are good enough. You are plagued with self doubt, feelings of uncertainty creep in insiduously, and you just feel like a grain of sand in a sea of waves, buffeted by the powerful water, feeling small and inferior. And the lecturer said that a person should not compare himself/herself with the people around, but he/she should retain the essence of his/her person. But that's not so easy to accomplish. Because inevitably, we lose bits and pieces of ourselves as we grow, as we assimilate into various cultures, as we strive to fit in and not stand out for the wrong reasons. It's easier to just agree with the consensus, and very much more tempting, so much so sometimes, you lose sight of what you hoped to attain in the first place. And then you lose sight of who you are. If so, where do you go from there?
I know in my head that there's a reason why we were made the way we are, with the abilities that we have, but sometimes, it's more difficult to understand and accept it in one's heart. I guess we should not give up though, because I think acceptance of one's self, flaws included is crucial.

No comments: