Saturday, July 26, 2008

Of routines and same old, same old...

Yesterday marked the end of Week 2 of Semester 2. And it wasn't too bad. My first lecture was at 9am for starters, which was a blessing, and I only had 5 hours of classes yesterday. And Ben Canny actually gave us the diagnosis for next week's PCL! Haha. Granted, it was a 3 hour lecture block and a 2 hour PCL, but still, thank God for all the little miracles. And I had delicious chicken curry which Wan Jie cooked for lunch! =) There was a slight moment of panic after PCL, when Tshepo told me and Stephanie that our revised CBP Health Promotion Project Proposal was due in yesterday itself. And the email reminder was also sent out yesterday itself. But thankfully, Steph had a copy of it in her email inbox, and we only had to alter 2 sections of it before submitting it via email. Anyway, after that was accomplished, I came back home. Cooked scrambled eggs for caregroup dinner and then slept a bit. But apparently not enough. Because Ivy said I looked dead tired yesterday. Haha. Sure felt like it too. And she had dire words of prediction for me. Haha. She told me not to wrack up a sleep debt now, because when med students become fully-fledged doctors, the sleep debt is astronomous. And I think that chicken has become such a staple at caregroup dinner that Joel only needed a quick glance over the dinner table yesterday to ask if yesterday's theme was No-Chicken Night. Haha.
Care group lesson was thought provoking, in the sense that it strikes close to heart. I realised then that no matter how hard I try not to, I still rely a lot on the first impression that someone makes on me - the general appearance and the superficial external features that one has plays a large role in the opinion I form of someone. And sometimes, the physical attributes of a person can be misleading. This brings to mind the titular character in Dorian Gray, whose youthful, innocent face masked a life that was mired in debauchery. Yet his charm and flawless physique inveigled people into trusting him wholeheartedly. For indeed, how could he be so unmarred if his way of life commanded nothing less than respect? And oft-repeated though this lesson may be, I think I need a reminder ever so often, that it is not the outer shell that matters, but the inner subtance that is vital. The heart of the matter is the crux, so to speak. The character of a person, that core of his or her being, that is what matters. The appearance may be less than attractive, but true beauty lies in the actions and interactions of a person, the sincere care and the warmth and the love he or she exudes, in all the little, seemingly insignificant deeds that he or she does, or sadly sometimes, the lack thereof. That's what I should look at. It's challenging, especially because I am a shallow person. Even the TV shows that I watch, I watch because the characters are aesthetically appealing. Just ask Kohila and Wend the extent of my shallow-ness. But I'll try. I'll definitely give it my best shot...
Man looks at the outward appearance but God looks at the heart.
1 Samuel 16:7
Anyway, I have SPC meeting tonight to discuss and fine tune our oral presentation on Thursday. Maybe practise as well. It depends on how we're going for time. And hopefully, I'll get my Critical Learning Incident assignment back soon. What we have learnt so far, endocrinology, has been quite interesting . It is a little like chemistry, like Adilah mentioned. So far, so good. Haha. On another note, Mid Sem Exams are in approximately 1 month's time. Sigh... quite fast no?
Mummy's parcel still has not arrived yet. =( Want to eat preserved plums. Yu Wan and Fawn still have the ones that I gave them way back in February. And they even offered to give me one a day. Haha. But it's ok, I'll wait till the parcel arrives. And JPA has already give us our allowance for the next 3 months. Hooray!
Alrighty, signing off now. Haha.

No comments: